Are esports actually sports

Anything else that cannot be categorized in the other forums.

Are eSports actually sports?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:28 am

Yes
67%
No
33%
Don't Care
No votes

Total votes: 6

Chappies08
Firstname: Kyle

Are esports actually sports

Postby Chappies08 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:36 am

This is my favorite topic of debate at the moment. Can we classify esports as a form of sport?

I like to think not, for the primary reason: the defenition of sport according to a quick Google search is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." It is also important to note that a clear distinction has been made between what a sport and what an esport is, if they were one and the same would there be the need for the two separate categories?

Thanks
Chappies08

Megafisshy
MITS Leader
Firstname: Grant

Re: Are esports actually sports

Postby Megafisshy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:24 am

I think eSports are a form of sport and here is why:

Reaction times, vision and good hearing are the foundations of a good eSports player. Reaction times, vision and hearing are essential skills in most, if not all professional athletes. Reaction times of professional eSports athletes are similar to those of professional F1 drivers. The accuracy and precision required to be successful in some games is far beyond the skill required to be considered professional in other sports. The decision making speed required to be a professional eSports player is also astounding, which I believe differentiates it from a game such as chess and go (games in which the players have already been recognised as professional athletes).

Funnily "The US Government recognises eSports players as professional athletes, at least where the granting of visas is concerned." (Source)

But this is just my opinion, looking forward to seeing what others have to say. :)

BlackSt0rm
Firstname: Branagth

Postby BlackSt0rm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:03 pm

No...
An eSport is an eSport, just as eMail is not mail.
Is there any other kind of St0rm than Black?

MarukoViBrittania
Firstname: Marco

Postby MarukoViBrittania » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:58 pm

BlackSt0rm wrote:No...
An eSport is an eSport, just as eMail is not mail.

I like this logic :P :lol:
=^.^=

Return to “Other”