NVIDIA 750 TI vs AMD R7 370

CPU, GPU, Motherboards, Memory and Peripherals.
Mr V
Firstname: Steve

NVIDIA 750 TI vs AMD R7 370

Postby Mr V » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Well my long old NVIDIA EVGA 8800GT gave up after almost a decade and just decided to die on me.
EVGA 8800gt.jpg
EVGA 8800gt.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 24549 times

RIP 8800GT - U served me well.

Now I'm stuck with the dilemma of what Graphics Card to get next.
I have boiled it down to these 2 contenders.

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 2GB, DDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
Gigabyte 750 Ti.jpg
Gigabyte 750 Ti.jpg (35.39 KiB) Viewed 24549 times

Current Price: R 2244 ($148)

OR

PowerColor AXR7 370 2GB, DDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
PCS R7 370.jpg
PCS R7 370.jpg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 24549 times

Current Price: R 2549 ($168)

I'm steering towards the AMD R7 370 because it seems to be slightly faster than the NVIDIA 750 TI but at the cost of more power.
However the NVIDIA card is a little cheaper and more power efficient.

Which one do you think I should get and why?
Do you know of a better card for the same price range?

Thanks,
Steve

Mr V

Re: NVIDIA 750 TI vs AMD R7 370

Postby Mr V » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:44 pm

A 3rd and potential 4th option has revealed themselves after further research.
These are 2 more cards to consider which sit at a slightly higher price range.

The NVIDIA GTX 950 and GTX 960 (2GB or 4GB Versions)

The GTX 950 sits at a slightly higher price point than the R370 while the GTX 960 price varies according to the amount of GPU ram you want (2GB or 4GB) however it costs on average +$30 (USD) more than the 950.

Here a pictures of the cards and related specs.

GeForce GTX 950 Black OC SNIPER 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0
GALAX GTX 950.jpg
GALAX GTX 950.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 24541 times

AND

GeForce GTX 960 G1 Gaming 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0
Gigabyte GTX 960.jpg
Gigabyte GTX 960.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 24541 times

Dilemma dilemma, I am still split as to what card to get.
Either the 950 or 960 (2GB or 4GB version?)
Is the price difference between the 960 and 950 worth it?

Here is a nice comparison I just found about the differences between the 950 and 960.
In brief, the GTX 950 can be described as the GTX 960’s little brother. It is part of the second-generation Maxwell family, and in fact has the same basic GM206 GPU. The similarity is evident in several specifications. Both the 960 and 950 have 32 Render Output Units (ROPs), both have a 128-bit memory interface, both offer two gigabytes of GDDR5 memory, and both provide DirectX 12 feature level 12.1 support.

The differences are what you’d expect when a new chip is derived from another, quicker component. Compared to the GTX 960, the number of CUDA cores has been cut from 1,024 to 768, texture units have dropped from 64 to 48, and the stock base clock speed has been reduced from 1,126MHz to 1,024MHz. While the amount of memory and width of the interface is identical to the GTX 960, the memory clock has pulled back from 7GHz to 6.6GHz. The impact of that is minimal; the GTX 960 quotes 112GB/s of memory bandwidth, while the GTX 950 serves up 105.6.

As the specifications make clear, the GTX 950 is not a dramatic departure from previous Nvidia architectures. Nor does it need to be, since the 960 is only a few months old, and was the first card to offer Maxwell’s GM206 incarnation. The use of an efficient new chip means the GTX 950 demands minimal power. Nvidia recommends a 350-watt power supply, a full 100 watts less than the AMD Radeon R7 370.

Read more: Source

From that article it seems like I will going for the GTX 950 since it requires less power and is faster than the R7 370.
The difference between the 960 and 950 in 1080p gaming is minimal and doesn't justify the increased price.

Megafisshy
MITS Leader
Firstname: Grant

Postby Megafisshy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 pm

The cool thing about the 960 and the 950 sharing the same GM206 processor is that you can rest assured knowing that the 960 will come with a cherry-picked version of the GM206. It's a stout microprocessor and will last you a good long time. Being cherry picked, in theory it should be able to take more voltage over a long period of time for a better overclock. You do pay for it though. If you aren't into overclocking, gaming at 1080p shouldn't show a significant advantage to either 2GB variant, so you might as well go for the cheaper one.

CUDA is still pretty much the industry standard instruction set for most video editing and photo editing programs, however AMD's MANTLE and Free-Sync make this a pretty close fight, not to mention Adobe starting to use Open GL for GPU acceleration in Adobe Illustrator. However MANTLE is still waiting on market adoption and Free Sync still requires an expensive monitor.

I'd have to say the 950. Low power consumption usually means low noise and that means a lot to me, personally. That and the potential to BIOS hack your 950 to a 960 exists too!

Check out http://carbonite.co.za/ if you want to save some money, some of the parts on there come with a seller and a retailer warranty! It's also a great place to pick up some bargains on water-cooled parts and slightly older tech. It's generally a good community, just don't ship anything!

Mr V

Postby Mr V » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 pm

Megafisshy wrote:The cool thing about the 960 and the 950 sharing the same GM206 processor is that you can rest assured knowing that the 960 will come with a cherry-picked version of the GM206. It's a stout microprocessor and will last you a good long time. Being cherry picked, in theory it should be able to take more voltage over a long period of time for a better overclock. You do pay for it though. If you aren't into overclocking, gaming at 1080p shouldn't show a significant advantage to either 2GB variant, so you might as well go for the cheaper one.

CUDA is still pretty much the industry standard instruction set for most video editing and photo editing programs, however AMD's MANTLE and Free-Sync make this a pretty close fight, not to mention Adobe starting to use Open GL for GPU acceleration in Adobe Illustrator. However MANTLE is still waiting on market adoption and Free Sync still requires an expensive monitor.

I'd have to say the 950. Low power consumption usually means low noise and that means a lot to me, personally. That and the potential to BIOS hack your 950 to a 960 exists too!

Check out http://carbonite.co.za/ if you want to save some money, some of the parts on there come with a seller and a retailer warranty! It's also a great place to pick up some bargains on water-cooled parts and slightly older tech. It's generally a good community, just don't ship anything!

I still cant make my mind up, so many factors to consider.
First things first the 750TI and R7 370 are out of contention as the GTX950 and GTX960 are faster.
You are correct, the GTX950 is a slimmed down version of the GTX960 and costs a little less.
I did further research into the differences between a 2GB and 4GB Ram on graphics cards and it seem like only a few games take real advantage of the higher RAM and it also helps if you gaming at higher resolutions but then you should be considering a GTX970 for 4k gaming on the minimum.
Since I will be gaming at 1080p either one of these 2 cards will allow me to play most new games on high settings.

Now what is making me reconsider is the fact that NVIDIA will be announcing their new line of GPU's very soon in April and releasing it by the end of June according to news and speculation on the web.
When they do this the prices of the existing cards should drop quite a bit hopefully, so I think the best option is for me to sit back and wait it out a little bit and see what happens to the prices of the current cards when the Pascal gets announced.
I'm hopping to pick up an GTX970 at a good price, because If I can get this then I can get an Oculus Rift potentially down the line and the GTX970 is the minimum requirement for it.

I always check out carbonite for good deals. I have CUD in my blood.

Megafisshy
MITS Leader
Firstname: Grant

Postby Megafisshy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm

Mr V wrote:Now what is making me reconsider is the fact that NVIDIA will be announcing their new line of GPU's very soon in April and releasing it by the end of June according to news and speculation on the web.
When they do this the prices of the existing cards should drop quite a bit hopefully, so I think the best option is for me to sit back and wait it out a little bit and see what happens to the prices of the current cards when the Pascal gets announced.
I'm hopping to pick up an GTX970 at a good price, because If I can get this then I can get an Oculus Rift potentially down the line and the GTX970 is the minimum requirement for it.

I always check out carbonite for good deals. I have CUD in my blood.

The good news about the new GPU's being released soon is that the price of the older stuff will drop in the second hand market! It's never a bad idea to wait! ;)

Mr V

Postby Mr V » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:47 pm

I eventually got this card for a really good price.
Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce 3 OC
Gigabyte GTX970.jpg
Gigabyte GTX970.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 22185 times

Official Product Link

I would however recommend the new AMD RX 480 to anybody who is looking for the best bang for buck card right now.

Return to “Computer Hardware”